Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Courage

Sometimes, courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try again tomorrow" - Mary Anne Radmacher

A few weeks after my 4th child was born he caught pneumonia and was barely breathing. I called the doctor and was instructed to quickly rush him to the emergency room. It was faster to drive than to wait for an ambulance. I bundled my baby up and took him out into the cold, dark winter night. I was half-way across town before it dawned on me that I had never actually been to the pediatric hospital and didn't know quite where it was. I got off on the wrong exit and was winding through bad neighborhoods. I kept looking back to make sure my baby was still breathing, looking ahead hoping to see the hospital, and looking inside myself for the answer to the dangerous mess I was in. I didn't know what to do, but I knew I couldn't give up.

This experience inspired me. It serves as a metaphor for motherhood itself. I know where I want to lead my family, but sometimes I'm not exactly sure how to get there. No one can tell me every step in raising children. I look to my past experiences, I look ahead following the examples of other mothers, and I look inside myself. Sometimes, I'm a bit lost, but I'm inspired to not give up.