Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Inspiration

Does what we look at really matter? Do the images our children see affect who they are? I think so.

A few years ago, when my oldest started middle school, I felt like she was growing up fast. In a good way, but it was still scary for Mom. I wanted to be there and remind her of who she is and the potential she has for good. But I couldn't be there all the time. I decided some inspiration was needed.

Together, we started collecting little encouraging sayings, and handouts and even kind notes from her friends into a wall collage above her bed. She was totally on board with the project. I don't know what the measurable effect is for encouragement. But I do know it makes a powerful visual statement when her friends come over and see her walls. It's a lot of little reminders of what being an awesome teenager looks like...and she is awesome.