Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Bedtime Stories


“You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you will never be--
I had a mother who read to me.” 
 --Strickland W. Gillan
 
I'm a big believer in the nurturing value of bedtime stories. I can still remember the cozy feeling of being snuggled next to my own mother as she read aloud to me. I know this is where I learned to love reading. It's an official part of our bedtime routine. It's a great way to help the kids relax and settle down. I started when they were young with baby books and now we mostly read chapter books. I have covered thousands of pages across many genres. I had one embarrassing moment at the library when I was told the limit was 100 books and I need to put some back. I think it has helped with their schooling. One of these days I will share some of my favorite children's books. But mostly, I do it because I feel like they are tucked in with love every night when we connect at the end of a day by sharing a story.